Micro-location technology is a viable solution to accurately pinpoint a person or an asset’s location. The technology offers impeccable accuracy when indoors and outdoors, unlike GPS, where location navigation can be enabled only when outdoor.
UWB is a revolutionary technology in the micro-location landscape. UWB is clearly build to identify location and distance in real-time, with absolute preciseness (accuracy of 5-10cm). The technology prompts accurate distance measurements by efficiently taking into account the time taken by radio signals to travel across respective devices. UWB effectively utilizes the time of flight (ToF) data to generate the expected distance metrics. This tech is steadily gaining popularity, with numerous smartphones being integrated with UWB.
The Practical Applications of Micro-Location Technology
According to the online data, the micro-location sector will mark an impressive growth of CAGR of around twenty percent during the next seven years.
Some of the many applications of accurate location services are listed below.
- Marketing– Micro-location technology is an active tool to gather information on user behaviour. After gathering insights on user preferences, collected after analyzing the time the customer had spent in the store or by looking into their online interactions with the brand, the retailers can send promotion messages specific to that product. By delving deep into product affinity, the sellers can take proper measures to ensure a better experience for their customers
Grocery shops use this leading technology to offer customized shopping experiences to users. After realizing the unique customer preferences (the specific brands they use) using the micro-location technology, the sellers forward custom offers and other information to the consumers
- Improved hospitality– Micro-location technology can be used to offer an unparallel experience to the guests by the hospitality sector. For eg, hotels can use the tech to send bespoke messages and check-in information to the respective guests as soon as they enter the premises. The same tech is also used to pass on the guest details to the front desk and other staff, allowing them to promptly offer personalized services
- Easier tracking ( in Home and Industries alike)– The technology can be implemented to track and locate ‘tagged’ devices easily inside the home and the surrounding premises. Now you can always get hold of the keys or the smartphone which you swear you put on the table but can find nowhere, without tearing the house apart. Micro-location technology can be deployed in warehouses and other industrial spaces to ‘map out’ the premises, allowing the staff to easily track down the assets
- Streamlining the manufacturing process– The micro-location technology brings a steady flow to the manufacturing operations. It can be effectively used to track employees, tools, and even the spare parts involved in the production. For instance, the technology heavily helps the automotive industry to keep a tab on the spare parts and sometimes even locate the devices that require the additional installation
- Remote controls– The location technology can be modified and integrated into remote controls, granting it the capability to single-handedly control the electric connectivities in the building. This allows the remote control to turn on/off light, fan, control the volume functionalities in television, and more
- Drones– Accurate location functionality can be integrated to build smart drones with the automated ‘following’ feature. The user will be given a ‘smart’ wearable and with the micro-location technology, the drone will effectively remain connected to the wearable and follows the user
- Health sector– Micro-location capabilities will aid the hospitals to keep track of the assets and patients, efficiently reduces medical errors, and guide the doctors and staff quickly to the hospital rooms in case of emergencies
- Sports industry– Micro-location technology has enabled tracking of athletes using wearable technology. For instance, in a basketball game, the ball may be embedded with a chip, and the athletes may be given wearables, generating flawless data on successful shots and passes of the game
Micro-location technology is gaining traction all across the globe. UWB technology offers highly accurate location data and is mostly immune to interference. Pinmicro is actively using UWB in their location intelligence solutions including dSense, allowing the product to streamline numerous sectors of the business industry. Do check out dSense and find out more about the product and its endless use cases.